FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

NEW BOOKS I AM ACQUIRING FROM AMAZON

I just enjoy reading, even though I read mostly non-fiction. I find reading helps me to keep my mind intellectually alive, especially when I probe for understanding of new concepts or new angles of looking at old ideas.

So, today, after much deliberation, & also after making much comparison with other online bookstores, I have just placed my new requisition order to Amazon, as follows:

1. "Opening the Inner Eye: Explorations on the Practical Application of Intuition In Daily Life & Work", by William Kautz;

[I have read the author's earlier book, "Channelling. The Intuitive Connection" (1987).]

2. "Deep Dive: Mastering the Three Disciplines of Strategic Thinking for Competitive Advantage", by Rich Horwath;

[I have read the author three earlier books, "Storm Rider" (2004), "Sculpting Strategy" (2005), & "Strategy Espresso" (2007).]

3. "Visual Tools for Transforming Information Into Knowledge", by David Hyerle;

[I have read the author three earlier books, "Visual Tools for Constructing Knowledge" (1996), "A Field Guide to Visual Tools" (2000), & "Student Success with Thinking Maps" (2004).]

4. "Adventures of an Optimist: A Progress Report on the 400 Year Project to Help You Improve 20 Times Faster", by Donald Mitchell;

[I have read the author's two earlier books, "The Ultimate Competitive Advantage" (2003) & "The 2000 Percent Solution" (1999)]

5. "MindLab: A Place to Think", by Bill Welter (*);

6. "Putting Our Differences to Work: The Fastest Way to Innovation, Leadership, & High Performance", by Debbe Kennedy;

[I have read the author two earlier books/toolkits, "Breakthrough! The Problem-solving Advantage: Everything You Need to Start a Solution Revolution" (1998) & "Diversity Breakthrough! Strategic Action Series" (2000)]

7. "The Genius Machine: The Eleven Steps That Turn Raw Ideas into Brilliance", by Gerald Sindell (*);

8. "Strategic Acceleration: Succeed at the Speed of Life", by Tony Jeary (*);

9. "Managing the Gray Areas: Essential Insights for Leading People, Projects & Organizations", by Jerry Manas (*);

10. "Pragmatic Thinking & Learning: Refactor Your Wetware", by Andy Hunt (*);

(*) For me, these are new authors, & this is the first time I will be reading their works;

[The foregoing choice of books is invariably tied to my personal interests, which are highlighted in my blogger profile.

Surprisingly, I have noted, for other online bookstores, especially in terms of used books, like abebooks & alibris, you can sometimes get great management books for as low as just US$1/-, but the freight to Singapore, as in my case, is a real killer. The rate as well as the shipping varies from reseller to reseller.

Hence, searching for a good value match is often a burdensome, time-consuming process.

Amazon is still by far the best source for new & hard-to-find books, despite its somewhat inflexibility & occasional erratic price increases after you have put them in your shopping basket.

I reckon its CSF is its vast store inventory.]

No comments: