FROM DILIP MUKERJEA

"Genius is in-born, may it never be still-born."

"Oysters, irritated by grains of sand, give birth to pearls. Brains, irritated by curiosity, give birth to ideas."

"Brainpower is the bridge to the future; it is what transports you from wishful thinking to willful doing."

"Unless you keep learning & growing, the status quo has no status."

Thursday, June 17, 2010

CATCHING LIGHTNING IN A BOTTLE


I was quite intrigued by 33-year-old Taiwanese magician Lu Chen's remarks in today's 'Straits Times', under 'Magic with Shock Factor'.

He is scheduled to perform at The Max Pavilion on 31st July.

He has started learning simple magic tricks at the age of seven. When he was 12, he won a Youth Magic Contest in Taiwan which was judged by internationally renowned magician David Copperfield who is his idol.

He says:

"I want to be the next David Copperfield. He takes magic to a whole new level and the fact that I received a prize from him when I was young is a great honour. He has a huge influence on me."

One of his best tricks was teleporting a ring into an egg. [I had seen a similar act by Japan's street magician Cyril Takayama on television.]

He says he no longer learns magic tricks but instead, comes up with original ideas.

The following remarks from him really pique my curiosity:

"I get my inspiration from movies, plays, books and even dreams. I put a notebook to my bed so that I can jot my dreams the moment I wake up... The famous ring-teleporting magic trick was from a dream."

There you are... catching that lightning in a bottle, so to speak!


All you need is just a simple notebook. Einstein had always carried a notebook with him. So do I.

In fact, about three weeks ago, I had pampered myself by acquiring a new Cross notebook, in full-grain smooth leather & textured polyester fabric lining, measuring 3.5 in x 5.3 in, exclusively designed with a complimentary Cross ballpoint pen attached to its edge.

More information about the notebook is available at this link.

[My first notebook - with graph paper - was a gift from a Swiss erection engineer working with Georg Fischer of Switzerland during the early seventies. I still have it. Since then, I had collected a gamut of notebook paraphernalia from around the world.]

No comments: